On Sunday 10 December 2017, Bunbury CBD will come alive for the City of Bunbury Christmas in the City event. Free to attend, this highly anticipated event runs from 3pm – 8:30pm and combines the Festival, Street Parade, and Carols Concert. The event features food and market stalls, entertainment and activities for community members of all ages. Christmas in the City is held at Bunbury’s iconic Graham Bricknell Music Shell and Bicentennial Square. Approximately 15,000 patrons from Bunbury-Geographe and wider South West community attend.
The festival will host different 'zones' which are free to the community and will include an artificial ice rink, Candy Land (food based workshop), Rudolph's Barn (petting zoo), Snow Land (marquee with artificial snow) and Santa's Village (meet Santa and Mrs Clause). There will also be food vendors and market stalls selling their wares. The Street Parade then begins at 5.30pm and travels through Bunbury's CBD. Spectators line the streets to watch the festively decorated floats, vehicles, and groups pass by.
The Carols Concert presented by The Apprentice and Traineeship Company kicks off at 7pm and features a line-up of local groups, choirs, and individuals performing classic and modern Christmas themed songs and carols. People are able to sit and relax while having the opportunity to sing along with the assistance of lyrics on the 10m LED screen on stage, or by reading along with the lyric booklet provided free of charge. As the sun sets, the crowd will be able to light up their battery operated candles which are available to purchase for a gold coin donation, and all funds raised go towards local community groups who will be chosen closer to the event date.
Food and Market Stalls
Applications for food and market stallholders has now closed, but to be advised of other stallholder opportunities, please email email@example.com with a subject of Stallholder Enquiry and include details of your food or market stall.
Street Parade and Road Closures
The Christmas in the City Street Parade begins at 5.30pm from the Bunbury Recreation Ground and winds through the streets of the CBD, before ending just before the Bunbury Regional Entertainment Centre. There will be road closures in place between 5pm and 7pm to accommodate this.
The following road closures apply during the Street Parade:
- Blair St - between Stirling St and Clifton St/Koombana Dr
- Victoria St - between Prinsep St and Carey St
- Prinsep St - between Victoria St and Blair St
- Wellington St - between Victoria St and Haley St
- Symmons St - between Victoria St and Blair St
- Symmons St - between Marlston Dr and Molloy St
- Ivey Street - between Molloy St and Recreation Grounds
- Wittenoom St - between Symmons St and Carey St
- Molloy St - between Symmons St and Clifton St
- Eliot St - between Victoria St and Wittenoom St
Blair Street will also be closed between Symmons Street and Haley Street from 12pm until 9.30pm for the event.
Applications for community groups to apply to be included in the Community Candle Competition will be open closer to the event date. To be notified when the competition opens, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of Community Candle Competition Enquiry and ask to be sent an application form once the competition officially opens.
Program of Events
The following activities will be running between 3pm and 8.30pm in Bicentennial Square, and unless otherwise advised are free to particpate:
- Artificial Ice Skating Rink (3-8pm – please check back soon on how you can pre-book your experience!)
- Snow Zone (3-8.30pm)
- RAC Rescue Experience – a virtual reality experience (3-5pm before joining in the Street Parade, then 7-8.30pm)
- Meet and Greet with Santa Claus (3-5pm before Santa has to prepare for the Street Parade)
- Story Time with Mrs Claus (3-7pm)
- Wollaston Lions Train (small fee, trains runs until it is too dark to drive safely)
- Christmas Cookie Decorating (3-8pm)
- Bouncy Castles (3-8.30pm)
- Petting Zoo (3-8.30pm)
- Carols Concert presented by The Apprentice & Traineeship Company (on the Graham Bricknell Music Shell from 7-8.30pm)
- Street Parade presented by Make Smoking History (from 5-6.45pm)
The City of Bunbury Christmas in the City event, is kindly supported by the following Sponsors and Community Supporters:
We love hearing what the community thinks of our events. Please feel free to email email@example.com after the event to share your experience and any feedback you may have.