Nominations are now open for the new City of Bunbury Tourism Working Group.
Published 23 October 2023, updated 24 October 2023
The purpose of this working group is to consolidate local and community expertise and involvement in setting a Bunbury Tourism Plan.
The group will be made up of two Bunbury City Councillors, City support staff and a tourism agency representative alongside representatives from local relevant sectors as identified in the terms of reference.
City of Bunbury Tourism Working Group Proposed Terms of Reference This Group Reports to: City of Bunbury
1. Purpose of the Working Group
The purpose of this Working Group is to consolidate local and community expertise and involvement in setting a Bunbury Tourism Plan.
The Primary outcomes of the Working Group would be:
- Provide strategic advice to the City to be included as feedback for the creation of a Tourism Plan on matters such as visitor servicing, promotion, product development, support of local business, key events and other key industry matters.
- Provide inputs and advice where requested during the preparation of the Proposed Tourism Plan.
- Upon review and endorsement of the Tourism Plan, determine the role of this working group going forward.
Invitations will be issued from the City to Bunbury/Geographe-based identified local and regional individuals who have been identified by Councillors and City of Bunbury staff who have may have interest in working with the City to provide input for inclusion in the City of Bunbury Tourism Plan that will produce clear outcomes based on extensive industry consultation and engagement regarding Tourism in Bunbury. Councillors will be appointed by Council for participation on this Working Group.
(i) Council Membership
- Two elected members
(ii) Support Staff
- Manager, City Growth/ Team Leader, Economic Development (Tourism and Visitor Servicing)
- Manager Community Connections (Events)
- Senior Visitor Centre Officer
(iii) Agency Representatives
- One representative from Australia’s South West/BGTP
(iv) Other Representatives
- One representative from the Bunbury Hotel/Accommodation sector
- One representative from the Bunbury Retail/Business sector
- One representative from the Bunbury Food and Beverage (Hospitality sector)
- One representative of the Bunbury Geographe Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- One Bunbury ratepayer/community member
3. Key Activities
(i) Tourism Plan Development
The Bunbury Tourism Plan, as identified in the Economic Development Action Plan is proposed to include a clear mission statement to provide essential clarity regarding tourism in and for the City of Bunbury. The Plan will contain recommendations, including how it (the Plan) will be implemented and the roles of the Working Group in guiding the delivery of the outcomes identified in the Plan.
(ii) Review of Existing Events Calendars Desktop review of existing Bunbury and BunGeo Events Calendars provided by the Events Team, the Bunbury Visitor Centres and Australia’s South West/Bunbury Geographe Region to identify gaps to inform the Consultant for consideration during the development of the Tourism Plan.
(iii) Advocacy Advocacy for tourism, key events, visitor servicing, promotion of attractions and events and support of local businesses.
4. Key Timelines
The timeline provided to Council for endorsement were:
October 2023 Council endorse Consultant’s Fees allocation to undertake Tourism Plan; Finalise scope for Consultant;
Oct/ Nov 2023 Advertise and seek Working Group members; RFQ for Consultant to market;
Nov/Dec 2023 Review RFQ’s and engage Consultant; Council Endorse Working Group members;
December 2023 First and second meeting a of the Working Group to occur with Consultant;
March 2024 First draft of Tourism Plan to be completed April 2024 Tourism Plan to be workshopped with Elected Members;
May 2024 Tourism Plan to be presented to Elected Members for endorsement.
5. Meeting Frequency
Following endorsement of the membership and Terms of Reference the Working Group will meet regularly and liaise with the Consultant during the compilation of the Tourism Plan. Considerations from the meetings will be provided back to Council throughout the process. Meeting frequency will be determined by the working group in consultation with the Consultant at the first meeting of the Bunbury Tourism Working Group.
It is anticipated the group will meet regularly, with the frequency yet to be determined.
To nominate, please visit the link below and apply via Smarty Grants, nominations open 24/10/2023.