Using City of Bunbury Venues

The role of the City of Bunbury, as the approving body for events held on Council owned land, is to ensure all reasonable and practical precautions are taken by Event Organisers, to protect the health and safety of patrons, and the amenity of surrounding residents. Whether an event is private or accessible to the public, if the event takes place in any of Bunbury’s public space, you will be required to obtain an event permit.

A public space is land owned by or managed by Council and can include:

  • Sports grounds and facilities
  • Public reserve, garden or open space where the public are permitted access
  • Street, footpath, laneway, car park
  • Water ways
  • Crown land

Venues in the City of Bunbury

The City of Bunbury has a range of venues for use for your event. Our venues cater for weddings, small to large functions, performances, community events, sporting events and corporate training.

Factors to consider when selecting an event space or venue include:

  • No clash of fixtures for possible sporting events held at the same time
  • Damage, wear, litter to ground for subsequent fixtures
  • Parking and traffic management
  • Transport and public transport
  • Noise Regulations
  • Facilities (power, toilets, kitchens)
  • Shelter and fencing
  • Vehicle access (i.e. heavy loads) 

The Graham Bricknell Music Shell and Bicentennial Square is located in the central business district.  This is a dedicated venue for events overlooking the Leschenault Inlet. The Music Shell is suitable for any events requiring a stage.

Graham Bricknell Music Shell and Bicentennial Square Hirer's Information

The Hay Park Community Hall is suitable for events such as an expo, group fitness class or team building activity. Located near the South West Sports Centre, and is equipped with kitchen facilities. It also features wooden floorboards and reasonably sized stage. Download Hay Park Community Hall Application.

Please speak to a member from the Events Team to assist you in choosing an appropriate venue. Alternatively, download the City of Bunbury’s Venue Information Package

Wedding Venues

The City has a number of venue locations suitable for weddings:

  • Wyalup/Rocky Point , Ocean Drive opposite Wellington Street 
  • Marlston Hill Lookout
  • Jetty Baths
  • Guppy Park
  • Centenary Gardens (Council Gardens)
  • Koombana Bay Beach
  • Pelican Point
  • Pioneer Park
  • Koombana North
  • Anzac Park
  • St. Marks Park
  • Queens Garden
  • Wilson Park   

Please download the Wedding Application Form

For further information, please contact the Events Team on 9792 7000 or email 

Applying for a permit

For events held on a public space a permit is required. The Events team will assess applications and issue a permit. This will outline information on availability, regulations and other approvals required.

Individuals or small groups may casually use the City’s reserves without a permit.  However, if your event will include any of the below, your event will require a permit:

  • 30 people or more will be in attendance

  • The group wishes to consume alcohol

  • Use of a marquee (or any structure), bouncy castle, animal farm, pony rides, or similar activities

  • Formal sporting games/matches

  • Formal event or function where a certain section will be enclosed with fencing or similar

  • Serving or selling food and drinks

If you are unsure whether your event will require a permit, please ensure you contact an Event Officer who will be able to advise you or your requirements.

An event application should be submitted at least 8 weeks prior to your event. Should an event be considered large or high risk, up to 12 months’ notice is suggested. 

Download the Event Application Form

Download the Event Application Guidelines

Download the Event Application Process Flowchart

Other Requirements

Some events may require specific approval from Council or state government departments. E.g. Police, Main Roads, Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor.

City of Bunbury Consent to Consume Liquor 

If alcohol will be served and consumed by attendees, an application for consent to consume liquor is required. A fee of $48 (including GST) is applicable.  This must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the event.

If alcohol will be sold at your event, a liquor licence may be required. This permit may be obtained through the Bunbury Court House and the Bunbury Police Service must be notified.

To check if your event requires a liquor license please read the Occasional Liquor License Lodgement Guide.

Application for consent to consumer liquor

Temporary Structures

Should any temporary structure be erected on a City of Bunbury Park or Reserve, a Certificate of Construction/Installation must be completed.  This may include marquees, tents, stages, movie screens, etc. This verifies the structure was constructed in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations. Download the City of Bunbury Certificate of Construction/Installation.

Certificate of Electrical Compliance

For all temporary electrical installations at events a Certificate of Electrical Compliance is required.  This must be signed off by a licensed electrician then submitted to the City's Health Services. Electrical leads and generators shall be tested and tagged within the previous 6 months in accordance with AS 3012. Download the City of Bunbury Certificate of Electrical Compliance Application.

City of Bunbury Application to Undertake Temporary Food Service

Events selling or serving food will need to ensure that food standards meet Western Australian Department of Health regulations. Current public liability insurance is also required.  An application to undertake a temporary food service may be required. Download the Application to Undertake Temporary Food Service.

Risk Assessment Guide

All event organisers are required to complete an event risk assessment. We’ve prepared a risk assessment template to assist with your planning. Download the Risk Assessment Template.

Noise Regulations

If noise emissions will exceed certain decibels, extra information may be required. An application for a Regulation 18 Form for Non-Complying Environmental Protection (Noise) Event must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the date of the event. 

An acoustic report detailing the following should accompany the application:

  • Proposed event date, start and finish times, and venue.
  •  Anticipated sound level emission impact on the surrounding properties (to be determined via the use of appropriate noise modelling software, given worst case atmospheric conditions in all directions)
  • Details of noise modelling input data / information used to construct the model (e.g. wind direction, temperature etc).
  • How compliance will be monitored during the event.
  • Details of complaint management procedures to be implemented (must have a constantly manned telephone number during the event for handling of complaints).
  • Details of how the affected surrounding community will be notified of the event (e.g. letter / flyer drop - to include the complaint contact number, start/finish times, venue etc).
  • Details of stage and speaker location.
  • Details of sound engineering methods to be used to reduce noise impact

Download a Regulation 18 Form for Non-Complying Environmental Protection (Noise) Event

Events Trailer

The City has an events trailer, with the following equipment available:

  • Sign Legs (59)
  • Bollards (70)
  • Bollard Bases (70)
  • Right Detour (9)
  • Left Detour (9)
  • Reduce Speed (7)
  • Detour End (6)
  • Detour Ahead (6)
  • Road Closed (12)
  • Lane Closed (2)
  • Road Closed Ahead (2)
  • Chevrons ^ (14)
  • Event Ahead (4)
  • Event Ahead/Event End (6)
  • Barrier Boards 1.5 M (4)
  • Barrier Board Legs (4)
  • Flag Bunting & Reels (orange) (5)Rolls of Orange Fencing

The collection and return of the trailer is the responsibility of the hirer. A hire fee applies, however may be waived for not for profit events. To book the Events Trailer, please book through the Community Safety and Emergency Services Department on 9792 7000.  Download the Events Trailer Request Form